We grow many varieties of Basil!
Basil is a true taste of summer and due to its short shelf life in supermarkets, is a perfect plant to grow and eat fresh from your garden. This wonderful, aromatic herb is easy to grow in our hot summers and provides rich flavour and colour to many culinary creations, both cooked and fresh.
Did you know that we currently grow 8 varieties of Basil? Here’s a listing of our varieties:
- Genovese – Classic Italian Basil that is a must for Pesto or Caprese salads.
- Dolce Fresca – Dwarf version of Genovese. Good for containers or smaller spaces.
- Emerald Towers – Brand new columnar Genovese variety. Late to flower, so huge harvest potential.
- Purple Ruffles – Gorgeous deep rich purple foliage is ruffled. Amazing in salads.
- Red Rubin – Another dark leaf. More purple than red and a flat leaf.
- Thai – Traditionally used in Thai curries. Strong flavour.
- Lemon – Fabulous in any creation where a hint of lemon is beneficial. Great in a water jug too.
- Holy – Also known as Tulsi. Very aromatic. Grow for essential oils and herbal teas only.
All Basil varieties love heat and require full sun to be at their best. Be careful in the spring as they are especially tender in cooler weather. Don’t plant too early and protect from cool winds and late frosts.
Prepare your own pesto like a pro for pizza and pasta!